Sunday, April 10, 2011

Traffic cones with light pipe


I've been watching for an opportunity use the SD300's ability to embed light-pipe-like transparency in a model, so I decided to adapt a Traffic Cone model I stumbled upon at Thingiverse.

I built the models upside-down, with a few layers of red followed by several millimeters of transparent layers to form a window between the interior cavity and the outside walls.


As usual with hollow models I chose to clean the leftover material out of the cavities before I removed the exterior supports. That makes it simple to hold onto the models because they're still embedded in the model block.


When the exterior support material was partly cleared I tested the light-pipe effect by shining a flashlight up through the bottom of one of the models. Light shone brightly through the transparent layers!


Here's a quick clip showing how it looks on an animated light table, illuminated from below. There's probably enough volume to fit an LED and button cell battery entirely within each model.

No comments:

Post a Comment